Guns

First off, I want to say how my heart breaks for the people of Orlando with the shooting that happened yesterday. This was most definitely a tragedy that will be remembered for many years to come. My heart is breaking for those that lost their lives and their families. My prayers and thoughts go to those who are recovering and survived this tragedy.

13450027_102942803467484_7412316543828661402_n
Photo from the Orlando Strong page on Facebook.

Now, for the reason of this post. I'm fairly certain that I will receive some nasty hate mail after this and I am ready.

images

It really angers me that after something like this happens the government starts talking about gun control yet again. Yes, I do agree with my 2nd amendment right to bear arms. I always have and I always will. I think Ronnie Dunn said it best though in his post on Facebook.

What people don't seem to understand is that if our guns are taken away, only the criminals will have them. Who will protect us then? When someone puts a gun to your face, more than likely the police (who do their jobs to the best of their ability, in my opinion) will not be there in time to save you.

If one the other hand, you own (and know how to use (ahh..yes a stipulation)) a gun, you can likely save yourself. In this situation, the police would investigate a self-defense shooting rather than a murder (of you).

For this reason alone, we need to keep our right to bear arms. Do we need automatic or high powered guns, maybe not (i'm not sure exactly where I stand on this one), but I can tell you they are fun to shoot.

I guess my point to this post is this, taking away the right to bear arms is a bad idea. Look at drugs for example, they are illegal but people still buy and sell them. The same thing will happen with guns, but it will be the wrong people that are able to carry them and the average citizen (who tried to follow the laws) will be left unprotected. Is this really what is best for America? Personally, I don't think so.....What are your thoughts on this matter?

Rant over!

31 thoughts on “Guns

1. She Joh says:

The Orlando tragedy is unfortunate. I can see both sides to the gun control debate but I’m not sure what the solution is.

• Renee says:

I can too. I wish I had the solution to make it stop. I am practically certain that disarming citizens will only make it worse though.

2. Milena says:

No one is looking to ban guns, only types of guns. I really don’t want to live in a culture of people that are afraid so they feel they need to arm themselves. This isn’t the old West.

• Renee says:

It’s not fear that has me carrying a gun. It’s knowing that I will be able to protect my family if something should happen. I pray that I never have to use it, but I have just in case. An insurance policy if you will.

3. Rachel Mouton says:

This was such a tragic situation. I am 100% for the 2nd amendment, but really cannot see why anyone needs an automatic weapon, and I don’t generally look to country singers for my morals or political decisions ;)

4. tara pittman says:

I can see both sides of the gun issue. It is a shame that guns get in the wrong hands and people get killed.

5. Amy Jones says:

Yes this tragedy will be remembered even 50 years from now. You got your point about the gun control, I think its a pretty complicated subject…

6. Elizabeth O. says:

I wouldn’t say I’m in favor of people just getting guns whenever they feel like it. But I definitely think there’s another way to improve the system, I don’t know. It’s heartbreaking to hear news like this from time to time and if we only had a better way to evaluate the gun owners or those aspiring to own a gun, that would be great.

• Renee says:

I think maybe a good place to start would be a waiting period and classes so that the person purchasing the gun would know how and when to use it. I mean if you need a gun right now, I think you should wait to get it first.

7. Lexie Lane says:

People should not be selling guns if not necessary. This is very tragic. Let’s all be responsible for or actions.

8. Karlaroundtheworld | Karla says:

Banning guns for regular citizens is bad. I only agree with keeping it legally strict at most for access and ownership.

9. Shaylee Field says:

This is a hard debate for me, a Canadian, to get in on. We don’t really have the option to own guns so it’s not up for much debate. I will say though that these tragedies involving gun violence need to end!

10. Lisa says:

I come from a country where gun crime is so unheard of that I find the concept of all these guns in the U.S to be a crazy notion. The more guns there are the more people want guns to protect themselves from the other guns and it is a vicious circle. I am all for getting rid of all the guns, but you are (unfortunately) right, that if we all got rid of guns, there are already way too many here illegally that the only people then benefitting are the ones who have them that we don’t know about!

11. Kathy says:

I was so heartbroken when I heard about this. This as well as the shooting of Christina Grimmie. Both were in Orlando from what I hear. Such a sad tragedy.

12. Laura Starner says:

It is a terrible tragedy of events in Florida. There were three serious evnets that have impacted that community, Unfortunately, everyone wants to blame the gun.

13. Melisa says:

I completely agree. There is a need for guns. There are plenty of stories out there of people being thwarted in their intentions by citizens with guns. Who knows how many of these events have been ended before they begane. There is a need for tighter restrictions on certain kinds of guns, but tightening things across the board will only create more of these events.

• Renee says:

Agreed 100% However, the AK-47 is just a rifle. Automatic weapons are already banned and can’t be bought legally. The AK-47 will however fire as fast as one can pull the trigger. I believe (not 100% sure about this) that can be changed though which in my opinion would be a good thing. I can understand why someone would want one though as they are so much fun to shoot.

14. Kathy Kenny Ngo says:

People need to be educated to learn and understand the things they do not so we can cut down on hate. It’s the only way hate can be gotten rid of.

15. Ashley says:

Great post. I agree with you 100%. The gun conversation is a difficult one, but taking away the right to protect yourself is definitely not the answer.

16. Alaina Bullock says:

This is such a touchy subject, but I agree – there is – unfortunately – a need for guns. Plus, I know its a cliche, but is really IS the people with the gun, not the guns themselves. Perhaps tighter restrictions and permit application is part of the answer. All I know is something needs to change.

17. Ana De- Jesus says:

As someone who is directly opposed to gun culture even I can see how banning guns would have a bad effect on American culture. As you said how will you protect yourself?

18. Jenjen says:

The Orlando incident is really heart breaking. With my stand on having guns, either there would be a law for this or none, irresponsible people are still the ones to blame for taking advantage of what they have and using it to such ways like this one.
    Jenjen recently posted…Eyes-Lips Giveaway | The Pinkish HubMy Profile

19. Mhaan A says:

It is really devastating hearing such killings all over the world. Owning a gun bears a big responsibility not only yourself but also to your family. I guess who owns a gun should take extra precautions to avoid misfortune events.